Fixing Wordfence Firewll rules update failure

The last rules update for the Wordfence Web Application Firewall was unsuccessful.

Holy mother s … what is your problem, WF ?

It was started in a few months ago, Wordfence continuously reported “rule update failure” email to me. And I always failed to “manual update” without any message, even I didn’t see permission or similar.

A simple solution

In case of mine, local embedded Linux system is running under small memory, so I limited PHP resource in stance to standard.

max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = 60
memory_limit = 128M

But I found error result in multiple reason by debug logging, there are two evidences found.

  • Execution timeout by over 30 seconds
  • Memory NOT ENOUGH FOR RULES UPDATE, even allocated 128 MB.

So I need to change php.ini to like this.

Wordfence rule updating must be fixed for low memory server like mine. Anyway, it fixed for only 586 KB sized rules.php.

Wordfence may need fix this issue

Leave a Reply